Last Friday we FINALLY closed on our house and moved in, hence why I have been so M.I.A. the past week. I went back to Virginia to see my parents and gather up some essentials to prepare for the big day so that we could start living in our house the moment we got the keys. Just when I thought I had taken care of everything to ensure we could comfortably live in the house, the oil tank ran out our first night and the gas got shut off 4 days later. The oil was less our fault, but the gas being shut off was totally on me - apparently, I don't know how homes work and I assumed that the oil tank powered our stove since it powers the heat and hot water.
Needless to say, we finally got it straightened out this past Thursday so I was able to cook my FIRST real meal in over 2 months - Chicken Fajitas in my brand new Cuisinart Dutch Oven! I have been DYING to use the dutch oven ever since I found it at a ridiculous price at our local HomeGoods. I always try to prepared large quantities when I cook because Chance basically eats for 4 people so every recipe has to be AT LEAST doubled. You can easily half this recipe and serve 8 people, but the leftovers really allow the flavor to soak into the chicken and it tastes great days later. Enjoy the full recipe below!
• 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
• 6 tablespoons of taco seasoning (or two packets)
• 2 jars of salsa
• juice of 3-4 limes
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees if using a dutch oven
2. Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your dutch oven or crockpot. Add taco seasoning and then cover with salsa and lime juice. Cover with lid and place in the oven for 3 - 4 for hours
3. Remove chicken and shred with two forks (the chicken should just fall apart easily)
4. Serve in bowls with avocado slices and add some Tapatio if you like a little extra spice :)