• 2 Tbsp butter
• 1 yellow onion, diced
• 1 large carrot, diced
• 3 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 Tbsp flour
• 2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
• 2 cups milk
• 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
• Salt + pepper to taste
1. Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat then add the onion, carrot, broccoli, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables as evenly as possible and stir until blended in. Add the chicken stock while stirring to keep the flour from clumping. If you have a hand blender, use it to blend together all the ingredients in the pot (we use the KitchenAid Hand Blander). If you don't have a hand blender, you can pour the soup into a countertop blender as well, either way blend until mostly smooth (it's okay if it's a bit chunky still, the bits of broccoli make it great).
2. Stir in the milk slowly then add the cheese in small batches so it melts thoroughly. Once the cheese is melted and mixed in, let the soup cool for a bit and then serve it up! You can top with a bit of cheddar (or swiss) if you have any remaining cheese leftover.
3. Optional - Add tiny slices of toasted baguette on top of your soup if you'd like too! Enjoy and let us know what you thought in the comments below.